Pages

Saturday, May 8

Camel Trail ~ 22 Oct 2002


I gave up work two weeks a go, I was over working long hours and Ian and I decided it was better for me to finish up earlier than planned. To keep myself occupied while Ian has been at work I've been walking and exploring in and around St Merryn. It's been a very pleasant place during the 'off season'.


With our time coming to an end in Cornwall I thought I had better explore the locally famous Camel Trail. The Camel Trail is a path from Padstow to Wadebridge a 5 1/4 mile trip one way. This walking/cycling track has been converted from a disused railway track. It runs for 17 miles from Padstow to Bodmin. Incomparable with the Rimutaka Incline and not quite as interesting, there isn't a lot of rail remains left of a once busy railway. The line was opened in 1899 and closed in 1967.


The river Camel derives it's name from the old Cornish language. Cam = Crooked, Hayle = Estuary "The Crooked River".


It was a very beautiful trip, a birdwatchers paradise. Being autumn there were many herons, little egret, oyster catchers and gulls. The leaves were turning and the wild blackberries were at their peak. A time to relax and embrace this beautiful countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment