Pages

Saturday, June 20

The Tate ~ 20 June 2002





















Ventured out by myself this afternoon. I was desperate to visit the Tate Britain. Outside was a sculpture of Millais. I only had a limited time because I had to meet Ian at the National Gallery late that afternoon, so I went straight to the Pre-Raphaelites. [I have a deep passion for the art of the Pre-Raphaelites, especially Rossetti] The first painting I saw as I walked in was Rossetti's 'Proserpine'. It was just stunning. Rossetti, Millais, Burne-Jones, Waterhouse, all my heroes. In a way I was glad I was by myself because I know Ian wouldn't have felt the same appreciation as did I. Millais 'Ophelia' was stunning, but I felt Waterhouses' 'Lady of the Shallot' was hung to high to appreciate properly.


There was a great collection of William Blake. There was a drawing of the spirit that taught Blake to paint in his dreams - it put shivers down my spine.


Just to prove how small the world really is, I was on my way to meet Ian at the National Gallery and not only had he caught the exact same train as me, we both found each other in the same carriage!

No comments:

Post a Comment